Had World War 2 not intervened, the line that the Metro Group is seeking to re-instate would be open and running today. The story is as follows. The old line, built to serve the expanding communities in North London, was a line which ran to Edgware with a branch to High Barnet, as well as one to Muswell Hill and Alexandra Palace. The section from East Finchley to High Barnet, with the branch to Mill Hill East is now part of the Underground Nothern line.

 

In 1933 all the London Underground lines were unified under the newly-formed London Passenger Transport Board. Soon after, the government announced a massive expansion programme of Londonís railways which included substantial investment in modernisation, including electrification. This programme was known as the 1935-40 New Works Programme. Among its commitments were extensions of tube lines, modernising underground stations and electrification of key routes.

 

Included in the list was the Finsbury Park to Edgware line and the branches to High Barnet and Alexandra Palace. This would involve the Nothern Line taking over these lines and by 1939 the project had been largely completed. At the outbreak of war, work was suspended but electrification unfortunately never happened for Finsbury Park to Alexandra Palace.

 

A service with steam locomotives and carriages ran from Finsbury Park to Alexandra Palace, but as with numerous branch lines all over the country, traffic declined due to growing car ownership and competition from bus routes, but a reduced service kept running until British Railways decided to close the line to passenger traffic in July 1954. However, the tracks stayed intact for some years after that for shunting and goods purposes but even that activity ceased and the tracks were finally lifted in the early 1970ís. The route now is largely unencumbered by development and is now a green corridor called the Parkland Walk.

the history
A brief history of the Alexandra Palace to Finsbury Park Great Northern Railway Line